The DFG-funded project Transform2Open addresses the development of budgets, criteria, competencies, and related processes at research-performing organizations around the financial dimensions of the Open Access transformation.
Transform2Open supports transformation activities at research institutions in Germany through the following actions:
- Improving and developing cost monitoring method;
- promoting the interplay of library budgets, third-party funding, and other financial resources at research institutions to create overarching information budgets;
- developing international criteria for contracts with commercial publication service providers;
- optimizing workflows around the handling of publications and associated metadata and invoices;
- promoting transparency around the financial framework of the Open Access transformation and identifying organizational structures and
- determining competence profiles for professionals involved in Open Access transformation at research institutions.
Transform2Open organizes dialogue forums and develops actions of recommendation for strategies, concepts, and measures for shaping the Open Access transformation at universities and non-university research institutions.
The project ensures the successful interaction of various transformative efforts with the project open-access.network and the Focus Group on Information Budget, the project openCost, as well as Projekt DEAL, and other initiatives and projects in Germany and internationally.
Transform2Open was approved by the German Research Foundation (DFG) in August 2022 and the project started its work in January 2023. The project is scheduled to run for 36 months.